Saturday, October 3, 2009

this is why i stay home a lot ....

With Cuba, the most amazing place on earth, again listed as a "terrorist nation," I can't help but cringe whenever I hear the word.

Intelligent and concerned citizens in Pittsburgh, trying to peacefully express their discontent with the elite control of the world this past week, were defined as "terrorists." Anti-olympic protesters here and in Vancouver are being targeted as "terrorists." Everyone, it seems, who disapproves of the continued exploitation of the earth and her peoples is considered a "terrorist." My skin crawls when I hear the word.

Tonight, I heard the word at a music concert.

I had treated myself to a night of folk music with local musical talent Qristina and Quinn Bachand. They're a very talented, and young, brother and sister duo who have gained quite a following around town, and I was interested in hearing and supporting them. I knew it would be a popular event, and I purchased the last ticket from Ivy's bookstore this morning in Oak Bay on my way to the farmer's market.

The hall was full when I arrived, and I didn't recognize a single soul. I found a seat, moved it a couple of times in an attempt to stop the man behind me from kicking it, and hoped the music would soon begin. Finally the evening's host made sure everyone was comfortable, and then introduced Qristina and Quinn with an announcement that this concert is part of an international musical event in the memory of Daniel Pearl, a musician and journalist who was killed by "terrorists."

I wanted to put up my hand and ask -- Was Daniel killed by the CIA? They're the biggest bunch of terrorists on the planet. I also wanted to know ... What country was he in when he was killed? Is it a country that the US has established a military base in? Was Daniel an embedded journalist, working on behalf of the military industrial complex to present the imperialist situation in a favourable light for the US public? Was Daniel surrounded by gunfire when he was killed, gunfire inspired by US imperialism? Who designed, built, and sold the military equipment that was used to detain and eventually kill Daniel?

But I was in a church hall, and there were no opportunities to ask any questions.

The concert was terrific. Qristina and Quinn invited other artists on stage - Dave, and Bryan, and Eric, and eventually Daniel Lapp, a very respected local fiddler. Three darling young ladies danced to the Irish Jigs, and the crowd loved it.

After the concert, about an hour and a half, the chairs were moved to the side of the hall to make room for the Ceilidh. I'd have liked to have stayed, but I didn't know anyone and I wasn't interesting in dancing with people who hear the word "terrorist" and immediately imagine a muslim man and tsk tsk support the never-ending "war on terrorism" without bothering to wonder why people are so pissed off in the first place. (I don't know that's what they thought, but I'm guessing it is ...)

I cycled home and did an ixquick.com (much better than google) search and learned that the "terrorists" were in their home land of Pakistan, they killed Daniel shortly after the 9/11 distraction, and these were their requests:

NATIONAL MOVEMENT FOR THE RESTORATION OF PAKISTAN SOVEREIGNTY (NMRPS)

We still demand the following:

- The immediate release of U.S held prisoners in Guantinamo Bay [sic], Cuba.
- The return of Pakistani prisoners to Pakistan.
- The immediate end of U.S presence in Pakistan.
- The delivery of F-16 planes that pakistan had paid for and never recieved [sic].

We asure [sic] Americans that they shall never be safe on the Muslim Land of Pakistan.
And if our demands are not met this scene shall be repeated again and again....

Of course the murder of Daniel Pearl is tragic, but this list of demands doesn't actually sound unreasonable, to me. The people of Pakistan have a right to sovereignty. They want justice for political prisoners who are tortured and detained and stripped of all civil liberties. They want the US to go home and leave them alone. And they want some airplanes that they paid for and never received. I'd put up my hand and ask a few questions about that, too: Who built the airplanes? Who sold them? Why weren't they delivered? Is it really necessary to build an entire economy around war? Can you think of anything better to do?

The people of Pakistan are currently being murdered, with no apparent remorse from the Obama administration, by drones. Drones. This is the first time in human history that imperialism has been handed over to machines. Does this not freak you out?! I realize it wasn't quite this bad when Daniel's "terrorists," or misguided youth who see an invading force and do whatever they can to try and stop it, killed Daniel Pearl. There's no doubt it's tragic that Daniel Pearl was murdered - he seems to have been a decent soul. But can we please try not to blame every murder of a US citizen on "terrorists"? If the US were to invade Canada, and we were to defend ourselves, we would also be labelled as "terrorists." As the Olympic Organizing Committee invades Vancouver and Whistler this winter, those who disagree with their tactics are labelled as "terrorists." I'm not advocating violence, but I understand that someone killing someone else is more complex than simply labelling the murderer a "terrorist."

Hopefully our local protests this winter won't involve violence, though we can bet there will be provocateurs (terrorists) here to incite it. The US government is the biggest bunch of terrorists in the world, followed closely by those who would cut funding for arts so that folks like Qristina and Quinn will never rise again.

Can we think, before we react?