Tuesday, June 9, 2009

it's been one of those dayz


i try not to let 'i'm getting old' get me down. and i do a pretty good job of it, normally ...

if i were to meet my teenage self, the one who knew everything, i could still relate. i wouldn't feel like i have to pretend that i'm doing things that are cool, to impress her. i'd be able to say to her "i'm still real." and mean it.

but some days i just have to accept the truth. i'm getting older. i'm still pretty sure i can find a place in myself to deny that death is actually necessary, and if the time arrives i'm confident i'll deal with death with dignity and self-respect, but there's no denying the aging thing. it just happens.

you can pinch and tuck, pretend it's not real, try to forget about it for a while, but it's gonna getcha eventually.

that's what it says. death. it says - "look at me, i'm inevitable."

but it's over there, it's far away from me .... from me, who can still relate to that teenager who i was. full of hope. optimism. life was ahead of me, and i was enjoying it day by day, moment by moment. i was young, and relatively pretty. the world was my oyster. whatever that means.

in retrospect, it was a party. i didn't have a freakin' clue what was really going on.

and now i'm here.

and same for you.

so be careful.

there's a lot to watch out for. it's a tricky place, this earth, from a human perspective.

very strange indeed, i would expect, from a non-human one.