Thursday, May 20, 2010

Welcome to Phoenix .... now F off


Mexicans aren't the only unwelcome guests to Arizona.

Ah, Arizona, that great desert expanse formerly known as Mexico. And before that, part of the larger geographic zone Indigenous folk called "Turtle Island." But now it's been stolen, sliced, and quartered. And the unfriendly authority of earth-destroying capitalism sets the rules.

I recently blew a year or two of enviro-karma credit when I flew to Chicago for my friend's birthday party. Because I decided to go at the last minute, I ended up on a flight through Phoenix. During both my stopovers, I can say in all hippie wierdness that there was some decidedly strange energy in that airport.

On my early morning stopover, on my way home, I witnessed discourse between some kind of immigration agent and some guy who was offering up whatever ID and information was requested. We were nowhere near customs, this was inside the airport where everyone gathers after having cleared the Homeland Security cavity searches. This was prior to the newly enacted draconian measures whereby police officers are obligated to interrogate anyone they suspect might be an "illegal," (ie: anyone non-native). I was tempted to tell the guy being interrogated that I'm pretty sure he's not obligated to provide all that information .... but it was early in the morning after a weekend with very little sleep, I'm already red-listed (I'm sure, otherwise why the insistence on patting me down all the time lately?), and to be honest I'm petrified of authority who so often abuse their powers. So I watched this interaction, boarded the plane with my broken suitcase, and thanked the good heavens I was returning home to a land with slightly, sometimes, more reasonable inhabitants.

Upon returning home I wrote to US Airways, as I had been instructed to do after arriving in Chicago to find my suitcase latch had been broken. Their response prompted a second letter from me. You can read that if you want to. I can only hope I never have to travel to that place again ..... and that we can somehow keep them from re-colonizing Canada.




US Airways
4000 E. Sky Harbour Blvd.
Phoenix, AZ
Formerly Mexico
85034
Attn: Joseph Montanaro, Central Baggage Resolution Office

Re: US-10BANDCROFT-042F7

May 4, 2010

Dear Mr. Montanaro,

I received your response to my baggage information and passenger property form.

As you so rightly pointed out, I traveled from Vancouver to Chicago-O’Hare on March 19th 2010 but you didn’t receive notification until April 16th, 2010. And, as you indicate, “when a passenger arrives at their destination and does not immediately report the baggage irregularity in person, we must assume it was delivered as scheduled and in good condition.” Please allow me to explain.

I arrived at O’Hare near midnight and, upon retrieving my pitiable, half open suitcase, proceeded to request assistance from the one conscious being who sat watching the luggage as it travelled along the baggage ramp. My request for assistance was greeted with directions to a small office where two staff offered me a black strap with which to contain my bag so that all my possessions wouldn’t spill out, and the form I filed with your office. The form clearly states that it must be returned within 45 days of the flight date. I mailed the form April 9th, well within the 45 day limit and 19 days after my return home, as I placed my underpaid jobs serving the most vulnerable of my community, plus family concerns, ahead of filing a baggage information form.

It is indeed unfortunate that you feel “unable to assume responsibility or offer any compensation for the incident.” It is astounding that you will not acknowledge the obvious mishandling of my luggage. I left home with a sturdy, intact piece of luggage, and returned with the same piece held closed with a black strap because one of the latches on the baggage had been broken. How does a perfectly functional latch become opened and then bent so that it will no longer close, except as the result of mishandling?

Your response also mentions that your published tariffs state that “US Airways is not liable for damage to baggage which does not impair the ability of the baggage to provide suitable packaging and protection for the contents.” Let me repeat, and refer you again to the photo sent previously. Someone working at O’Hare, in the wee midnight hours, gave me a black strap to hold my suitcase closed so that I could successfully proceed to my destination without all my stuff falling out. The bag was indeed damaged sufficiently for me to require immediate assistance, and to later take the time and effort necessary to file a document with your office.

I hope you accept my apologies …. for flying with US Airways, for travelling through the oh so empathetic and compassionate state of Arizona, and for believing for a moment that a massive US corporation might actually take responsibility for an act of violence that is clearly their own.

In response to your final statement, “we encourage you to try us again, and look forward to welcoming you back on board another US Airways flight,” I can only thank you for providing me with a chuckle.

Sincerely,



Janine Bandcroft, B.A., B.Ed.

p.s. I’m certain that if you really care about anything you can manage to print your rejection letters on a single page, or on recycled or re-claimed paper as I have. The two page letter I received from you had the bulk of your words on one sheet, and nothing other than your name on the second. This is an excessive and wasteful and disrespectful use of earth’s resources. Oh, I forgot, you’re an airline, excessive use of our collective earth’s resources is part of your mandate.