Wednesday, November 4, 2009

who lost their marbles? one witness remembers ....


I actually do remember the face of who tossed the marbles. He was young (~early 20's), skinny, caucasian, about 5' 10"ish. He appeared to have either a short hair or tight hat. He was dressed in the anarchoblack halloween outfit (sans mask) that so many of the marchers were wearing. Other marchers called out to him "what do you think you're doing?" and he turned around and smiled and replied something the effect of "what's done is done " kind of thing. He actually dropped some of the marbles on my feet, causing me to trip. I kicked about a dozen marbles off towards the street gutters as they were a hazard to the marchers. I didn't see anyone throw the marbles, just fellow marchers kicking them off the street, not towards horses who were about 50m away.

I don't believe it was cop but suspect rather a member of some autonomous affinity group trying to be clever. It felt like a prank/ activist misfire in implementation. When I asked a neighboring marcher what was the point of marbles they instantly knew that it was a tactic tool to impair the horses. Some one got too enthused, thinking tactically not strategically. The horses were never a threat to the group and looking back at the evening, I actually have to give the Victoria cops some credit in not provoking the crowd. I was amazed that the demo actually made onto the Legislature lawn during the finale.

I'll gladly provide any other feedback if necessary,
Ciao, Qarlos