Tuesday, May 3, 2011

i'll bet someday they'll drop bombs on us


Strange as it may seem, being a feminist, I'm thinking about how grateful I am to my father at the same time I’m also really thankful for this little space I live in, with the beautiful view.  Not in a “thank you oh patriarch, my god, my saviour” kind of way (because I do feel I’ve earned the right to afford to pay the rent here and I think, ultimately, we have to save ourselves), but because today was another day of significance in my own personal dental history.  It’s a history I wish I’d recorded more carefully.

I’m in a bit of post-dental pain, and some combination of that, plus medication and hockey and music, has inspired me to think about how lucky I am to have a safe and comfortable place to be inside.  The wind’s still blowing cold out there.  I’m watching my surviving low income friends age and lose teeth.  It’s really difficult to see a person with a full set of teeth one day, and then missing one or two here or there a year or so after. 

I’ve just, today, invested significantly in my own body.  Thank you, dad.  Almost three hours at the dental office, with tea and hot rocks and lavender towels and new beautiful onlays, (otherwise, more patriarchically known as “crowns”), and the main reason I can do that is because my dad was kind enough to reflect upon me prior to moving to the spirit world.  And put his concern for me in writing so the lawyers could keep his small amount of stuff from being stolen by "the government."

So thanks, dad.  I thought of you on your recent birthday, like I do every year.  If you’re searching for a good place to reincarnate, I guess it’s appropriate to say “Happy Spring.”  Thank you for encouraging my independence.